Coffee Cake with Coffee Buttercream Frosting Recipe
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup salted butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons instant coffee
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 175ºC. Grease and line your baking tin.
2. In a small heatproof jug, place the coffee powder and boiling water. Set aside to dissolve and do it’s thing.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add in the eggs, and beat well until combined. Add the vanilla extract and coffee mixture. Mix well.
4. Add in half of the flour and the baking powder. Mix gently. Add in the milk, mixing well. Lastly add in the remaining flour and baking powder. Don’t over mix, but make sure it’s all well combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Bake for 35 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove from tin and allow to cool completely before icing.
To make the frosting/icing:
- In a medium bowl combined 1/3 cup of room temperature butter, 1 cup icing sugar, 1/2 tablespoon of coffee powder mixed with 1 tablespoon of boiling water, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat with an electric beater until smooth. Ice cake and serve.