Is there anything more satisfying than the delicious crunch of caramel popcorn? It’s got a little bit of saltiness, and the perfect amount of sweetness. And it’s cheap to make too!
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Preheat your oven to 150ºC.
- In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the corn kernels, place the lid on and give the pot a shake to coat the kernels.
- Pop the corn, and once the popping slows down – turn the heat off.
- Empty the popcorn into a bowl. If you have any unpopped kernels in the bottom of the pot, exclude them or remove them from the bowl.
- In a smaller saucepan, melt the butter and mix in the sugar, maple syrup and half of the salt. Stir until combined. Bring it to the boil, and then turn back down to a simmer. Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add the baking soda and vanilla to the caramel mix. Stir until you have a beautiful, glossy sauce.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the popcorn, and quickly stir to coat. Place the popcorn onto the baking trays, sprinkle with the remaining salt and then place into the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Once cooled, separate into goodie bags or cups for the bake sale. Or just eat it. Totally up to you!