Roast Tomato Soup Recipe
1.5kg tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup olive oil, plus a little extra for cooking onions
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon white sugar
Sprigs of fresh thyme
1 brown onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC and line a tray with baking paper.
2. Put the tomatoes cut-side onto the tray, and drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and sugar. Place the thyme sprigs over the tomatoes and roast for an hour – until the tomatoes are all wrinkled and soft.
3. Once the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, take off the thyme sprigs and throw them away. Peel the tomato skins off and also discard.
4. In a large pot, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook until slightly brown and softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, and the bay leaf, and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Turn the heat off, add the cream and a handful of basil leaves. Remove the bay leaf, and using a stick blender, puree until nice and smooth. Serve.